Saturday, May 22, 2010

Obscur-itto w/ Oscarito- The Burrito that doth fuse too much?!?

I'm all for a mixing of flavours, traditions, cultures, in Sandwiches. Canwiches devotees will recall one of the first posts on Canwiches started with a rant about my support of fusion in Sandwiches and en-masse:

"Fusion, whether it be a theoretical concept of energy creation, a women's football team, or a process of accultaration and bilateral cultural exchange, is usually seen as a positive (but don't get me started on the Cleveland Fusions' weak secondary and non-existent d-line)."


In fact, an American chain even took the Indian Burrito concept and franchised it. To me this begs the question, where will the fusion burrito concept end?


This all serves as a partial segue to a recent trip with a spicy Latin-american friend of mine to an east-end Burrito Shop called (improper spanish grammar notwithstanding)  Chinos Locos at 4 Greenwood avenue.


Chinos Locos has been open for just over a year and recently added a 2nd location on Church st. Their approach is to meld the Burrito concept with Chinese influences (with the added of some Asian Luchador iconography). Instead of the usual white rice stuffing opted for in the classic San Francisco "mission-style burrito, Chinos gives you an option of either a tripartite gathering of rice grains or chow mein with sprouts or scallions. Sounds like good old fashioned carb lovin to me.   As well the proteins also have an asian kick to them: General Tao chicken, Korean Beef etc while others feel more Mexican like Chicken Tinga and sauteed white Basa fish. It feels like the only thing that hasn't been fuzed in the process is the Tortilla: 






I had the "sweeeeeeeet" (not sure if that's enough e's) it contained: slow roast pork, guacamole, tomatoes, edamame beans, red onions, black beans, green peppers, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, chipotle sauce and for novelties sake I obviosuly opted for the chow mein. 



With such an interesting mish-mash of items, each bite of the burrito gave very different tastes and flavour-combos. Frankly some were on the verge of spooky-good, others just flat out didn't work for me.  I bite mostly made up of sour cream, cheese and chow mein comes to mind as part of the latter. Next time I go i'll probably skip the dairy products if I elect for the chow mein.

The pork was succulent despite it almost being closing time, though I was hoping it would closer to a traditional HK Char Siu with a little bit more sweetness/crispyness.

The veggies were fresh and tasty. The only one I would've dropped from the roster would be the edamame which give me a slightly unpleasent mouth-feel of a sudden snap whenever I encountered one in an otherwise soft texture. 

My overall impression is that a lot about this place works! The owners manning the grill certainly put a lot of love and effort into each of these.  I'd recommend this place if you're : a) looking to carbo-load before a marathon b) are a fan of burritos and looking for the next taste sensation c) are half mexican, half chinese d) are not c) but have the feelings of B.

Overall Judgment: 7.5 Opas/10

No comments: