Monday, July 13, 2009

Sandwich History



Sandwiches, as Roland Barthes once said, are a "delicious treat yearning for latent mythologization".

Many people tend to attribute the creation of sandwiches to that feisty English Noble "lil'' John Montagu, the Earl of Sandwich, who was too damn busy ballin/opressing serfs to actually cut his meat and bread separately . I challenge one of my readers to dispute his claim that "getting my greasy mutton hands on my playing cards is elephant-pooping on my cribbage game" (note photo evidence is required)



I however feel that sandwich invention vis-a-vis bread must be seen as a Chicken and Egg scenario (Chicken, Egg and Vis-a-Vis Sandwich review to follow). I imagine the first bakers', when taking their yeasty treats out of the oven for the first time said something like this: "Man I can't wait until someone invents Miracle Whip so I can fux with a Ham and Cheese".

IMO the sandwich represents one of the truly comprehensible things in our world. Bread + Filling + Condiment= perfection!

Later this week, TGCSB (not an erotic sounding yogurt spin off company but rather the anagram of this blog) will be reviewing: lamb satay burritos, a french fry stuffed roast beef sammie and a spattering of pastrami, smoked chicken and pulled pork.

No comments: